Activity No. __
2 pcs. raw eggs
2 pcs. wide-mouthed jars
400 ml. white vinegar
200 ml. distilled water
200 ml. 20% salt solution
1. Using the marking pen, label the jars Setup A and Setup B.
2. Place one egg in each of the beakers.
3. Add enough vinegar to each beaker to cover the eggs.
4. After 24 hours, pour off the vinegar. Observe what has happened. Carefully remove the eggs from jars and dry with a paper towel.
5. Find the mass of each dry egg. Record your findings. Rinse the beakers and dry them thoroughly. Return each egg to its original jars.
6. Add 200 ml. distilled water to Setup A. Add 200 ml. salt solution to Setup B.
7. Allow each egg to remain in its jar for 24 hours.
8. After 24 hours, do the following for each egg:
a. Carefully remove the egg and dry it.
b. Record the mass of the egg.
c. Measure and record the remaining liquid.
III. Data and observation
Egg in Solution
Setup A – distilled water
| || || || |
Setup B – salt water
| || || || |
1. Compare what happened to the mass of the egg in distilled water and in the egg placed in salt water.
2. What happened to the volume of distilled water and or salt water?
1. If your put freshwater fish in saltwater or saltwater fish in freshwater, the fish will die. Use your knowledge of osmosis to explain why this happen.